Copenhagen. Gefion Fountain (Gefionspringvandet)
The Fountain of Gefion (Gefionspringvandet map) was built on the initiative of Carlsberg, founded the eponymous brewing company, on the occasion of its 50th anniversary.
the Author of the sculptural group, the Danish sculptor Anders Bundgaard (Anders Bundgaard) worked on it for two years and graduated in 1899. The Carlsberg Foundation has offered to install a fountain in the town square, but city authorities have allocated a place for him in the Langelinie Park. The fountain bowl and the pedestal was built in 1908 and 14 July of the same year he made his discovery.
the basis of the composition laid the poem and skalds of the 9th century, recorded by Snorri Sturluson in the 13th century and included in his collection "the Younger Edda". According to legend, in the far North, in the land of the Sami, lived the daughter of the gods Gefion (Grfion), endowed with extraordinary strength and intelligence. There she gave birth to four sons turned into oxen and went with them on a journey.
while travelling to Rosenborg castle was in the Swedish land, and became the guest of the king of Gylfi (Gylfi), who was shocked at her stories of distant lands. Having decided to thank the woman for an exciting story, the king said, that will give her as much land as she will plough for one night on their bulls. The next morning, Gylfi saw that the field lake, now known as the mälaren, which is the capital of Sweden and the Zealand Peninsula separated from the mainland and became the present-day Denmark.