Helsinki. Restaurant 'The Chapel' (Kapeli)
In the forties of the nineteenth century confectioner Jernegan opened in the Esplanade Park small pavilion for the sale of lemonade and sweet pastries. The building was shaped like a small Church and quickly got among the residents of Helsinki the nickname "The Chapel" (Kapeli). It turned out to be profitable, and in the eighties, the pastry chef decided to open in the Park of a large restaurant. The new building was designed by architect Hanom Dalstrom and built, not surprisingly, entirely of wood. The restaurant was opened on 4 June 1867, coincidentally on this day was born the future Marshal Mannerheim. . This name eventually became the official name of the restaurant. The first regular customers of the restaurant were journalists, and ordinary people came here not only vypiste tea or beer, and hear the freshest news from the source. In 1883, the restaurant owner was Josef Wolontis, turned the institution into a cafe for the world of arts. It began to spend time with writers, poets, musicians, artists, theatrical figures. In the number of regular clients Kapeli was part of the writer Juhani Aho, poet Eino Leino, the composers Jean Sibelius and Oskar Merikanto. The artists Akseli Gallen-Kallela and albert Edelfelt conducted in the cafe their exhibitions, some of their paintings can be seen in the restaurant today.
Volantis also for the first time in Finland began to serve chilled beer in the summer. To do this in the basement of the restaurant was set up to the glacier. In 1919, Finland enacted a ban on the sale of alcohol, and the owner made a bet on quality and affordable Lunches and dinners. However, without strong drinks poorly heated building in the winter lost appeal to the public, so did not work. "Cold sucks" had a negative impact on the preservation of wooden structures, and to the fifties the famous "Chapel" is so dilapidated that stopped working. The revival began in the seventies, the building was renovated, and established heating and the restaurant resumed its work without a break for the winter. Now Kapeli offers dishes of traditional Finnish cuisine.
cafe sounded harpsichord, started with this musical tradition on the Esplanade. In 1887, in front of the restaurant was built a stage and seats for the audience, where more than 20 years he performed military vocal ensemble under the direction of conductor Alexei Apostle.
Today, in the summer theater Esplan Lava again musicians of the Finnish army. Traditionally, the military bands perform in Helsinki from June to August - one of those processions we have seen in the market square.
Vocal ensemble of the last century replaced the panel with modern equipment. Free events are held here usually in the summer on Saturdays in the afternoon. Unfortunately, my time has not allowed to wait for the concert to begin.