Helsinki. Old customs warehouse (Tulli - ja pakkahuone)
In the southern part of the island of Katajanokka is a large red brick building - a former customs warehouse (map), built in 1898-1901 year near the piers of South Harbor.
The project was designed by professor of architecture Gustaf Nyström (1856-1917), the author of such famous buildings Helsinki as the House of the Estates, Winter garden, Museum of design.
Gustaf Nyström is considered the founder of the Finnish school of architecture classic style of the Renaissance, which built the customs house.
The building was used as a port bonded warehouse until 1974. In the 70s was built West port, gruzova berths in the city centre were closed and the customs service moved to the new location.
Warehouse for about 40 years, was empty, while in 2010, they opened Studio art design. Now in a former port warehouse, exhibitions, seminars, concerts.