Oslo. Minesweeper M314 Alta
Another marine attraction in the Norwegian capital - the minesweeper M314 Alta. The ship is a monument located in the heart of Oslo, the cruise harbour, close to the Akershus fortress (map).
Ship type "Sauda" was built in the shipyards of Maine to the USA in 1953 in the framework of the program of military assistance to the European NATO partners. In that series of 10 ships, 9 of them were equipped as mine sweepers, and one received anti-submarine equipment.
the First year the trawler went under the American flag and carried aboard the AMS-104, after which he was transferred to naval forces of Belgium,where he served under the name M "Arlon".
In 1966, the minesweeper was transferred to Norway where it received its present name and served for 30 years.
In 1996, the minesweeper was transferred to the Museum of the Norwegian armed forces and became a ship-monument. "Alta" is the last surviving ship of its class.
Ship with a displacement of 333 tons has a length of 43.2, width of 8.4 and a draught of 2.3 meters. The power plant consists of two diesel engines Genegal Motors with a capacity of 440 HP, which allows speeds up to 13.5 knots. A bit, of course, now even the ferries in the fjords go faster, but to perform their functions is sufficient.
a Ship equipped for combat contact, acoustic and magnetic mines, their own weapons - twin 20 mm automatic cannon "Oerlikon", the Crew - 38 people.
unlike many other ships-monuments, all equipment and mechanisms of minesweeper remain in working condition. Every three years the ship its course is sent to the dock, where inspection and repair of the body.
And the amazing Thing is that the hull made of wood!