Stockholm. Gamla Stan. School St. Nicholas - Estonian school (Sankt Nikolai Skola - Estniska skolan)
Walking Up the stairs of the alley Mårten Trotzigs Gränd , you can get to the small square before the building of the oldest educational institutions of Stockholm - St. Nicholas (Sankt Nikolai Skola map), sometimes referred to as "Big Church school" (Storkyrkoförsamlingen). Its existence is well documented in 1315, although the school has reportedly worked in the late 13th century. This is the city's first parochial school, before schools were only in the walls of monasteries. Initially the school was located on Knight island, 1750 moved to Gamla Stan. In 1930 a new wing was added with a clock tower on the draft Arlan Norden (Ärland Noreen).In 1945, provides a school was opened for children of emigrants from Estonia who fled the Second world war, now the school operates on a normal Swedish program, with intensive study of the Estonian language and culture. Now the school is about 200 pupils.
the oldest part of the school building was built in 1666 for the court painter David Ehrenstrahl (Ehrenstrahl David klöcker Bros.), which resembles the monogram over the gate.
In the square in front of the school building in 1956, the sculpture of Johnson Ivar (Ivar Viktor Johnsson, 1885-1970) "the Boy climbs the horse" (Pojke bestigande häst map). Work ' is widely known in Sweden - samyim known it is a monument to the "VEGA" in front of the Observatory and the fountain "Morning" on the square Brantingtorget (map) in Gamla Stan.
And the old water well with a hand pump, judging by the Roman number "MDCCLXXXVIII", built in 1788.
Well, this is a modern well city utilities, neatly inscribed in ancient cobblestone pavement.
From Estonian schools can go down the street Österlånggatan leading to the Palace hill.